Anthony Wendling - Intro and Week 1

Hi everyone,

I'll quickly introduce myself and describe my project in this post:

I'm Anthony Wendling, a second year student at CSU studying biochemistry. I enjoy exercise and being outdoors. I'm working with Dr. Burton and Dr. Foy out of CVID (Center for Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases) to test the efficacy of a volatile pyrethroid spacial emanator. I also work with in Dr. Rosenberg's lab where we study the effect of arboviruses on mosquito host transcriptional and genomic regulatory processes. 

The pyrethroid study is my main focus for the RaHP VEC internship. We are hoping to determine whether the product is suitable for use in local communities. The planning has mostly been completed and we are currently recruiting residents to volunteer their backyards. Our recruitment strategy is based on informational flyers and going door to door within target neighborhoods. I designed the flyer and pamphlet that we are using, and have visited two target neighborhoods. I plan on going out later today and taking advantage of people being home during the holiday. One main challenge we've found is homeowners being absent during work hours when we typically recruit.

Thus far, we have found seven participants between the two neighborhoods. I am hoping to find about two more per neighborhood, and I believe this target is realistic. It is important that we have enough houses to choose from since the study design is dependent on the proximity of data sites. 

Messy Desk (CVID, 2026)

My desk has gotten pretty messy with a variety of flyer prototypes and maps over the last week or so. If you work near me at CVID, I apologize for the loud noise of folding pamphlets (it was necessary for science). 

Comments